Two goals either side of half-time saw Bristol Manor Farm get back into this game and go ahead before skipper Jordan Metters sealed the win with a trademark free-kick in the dying moments of injury time.

The Portwaymen came into Tuesday night’s first round League Cup encounter (or the Bigfreebet.com Challenge Cup to give the competition its’ official title) hard on the heels of a chastening first home league defeat of the season on Saturday at the hands of Evesham United. Farm boss Lee Lashenko will have been delighted with the character and performance shown by his re-jigged team here against Yate – particularly after going 1-0 down during a competitive opening quarter of the match.

A mistake from a throw-in allowed Bradley Abrahams to steal forward in space down the inside left channel and rake a low shot past Ashley Clarke with ten minutes on the clock. As Manor Farm looked to settle quickly and dispel the memories of Saturday, it was not the kind of start they wanted. The home side competed strongly either side of the goal and the match stumbled through a stop/start, scrappy period with the referee having to issue a series of yellow cards. But slowly the visitors midfield – superbly directed by Assistant Manager Iain Harvey making a rare start operating in front of the back four – began to wrest control of the game away from their hosts.

With two minutes left to play in the first half Kye Holly played a nice one-two interchange with Harley Purnell marauding forward from right back before slipping Jordan Metters in behind the back four with a sweet flick of the boot. The Farm skipper attacked the penalty area with pace, holding off his marker before drilling a shot past ‘keeper Harvey Rivers into the corner of the net.

It is often said that scoring just before half-time is the best time to score a goal – giving teams the advantage of momentum when the game restarts – and Manor Farm made good on the maxim when they took the lead just two minutes into the second half. Martin Stowell rose well to head a corner which Rivers could only spill and there was full back Aron Robbins – on hand to poke the ball home from close range following a rebound from the Yate defender on the line..

Farm continued to dominate throughout the rest of the half, re-discovering their footballing flair along the way. A good shot by Jack Durrant was palmed away by Rivers for a corner after a good move involving Metters and Ben Bament.

Metters then played a nice ball in to Ben Bament but the striker shot straight at Rivers. Metters was unlucky not to score himself after being played in by Purnell from a clever, quickly taken free-kick down the right. With Farm in control of the game Lee Lashenko sent on Development/Youth team player Oscar Bright for a debut outing in a Farm shirt and the youngster looked keen to impress – holding the ball up well on several occasions as the visitors continued to grind the pressure deep in their opponents half.

With the game in the 95th minute Farm were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position outside the box and up stepped Jordan Metters, who after careful deliberation stepped forward to place a beautifully arced shot beyond Rivers despairing dive.

As bounce-backs go this was a solid response from The Portwaymen and should stand them in good stead ahead of their FA Trophy game at home to Cinderford Town this Saturday.

STAR MAN (Iain Harvey, Bristol Manor Farm)


Date Time League Season
3rd October 2017 19:45 PM Southern League Cup 2017/18


The Jelf Stadium
2 Lodge Rd, Yate, Bristol BS37 7LE, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Yate Town101
Bristol Manor Farm123

Bristol Manor Farm

Aron Robbins Defender
Jordan Metters Midfielder